The Oaks have a tradition in their family of going out to Vernal during Thanksgiving weekend to hunt for Christmas trees. We were going to go this year, but decided to stay home at the last minute because we didn't think the girls would do well on such a long car ride. Even though we didn't go, Kurt's dad still brought us home a beautiful tree to put in our living room. On a side note, my in-laws are some of the greatest people I know! They are always doing things for others and are so kind and generous without expecting anything in return. I am so thankful to have married into their family!
Our tree went up the first week of December and Kurt went all out this year and put lights on the outside of our house. I of course didn't get any pictures of any of this! Once the tree was up and the house decorated, things were pretty much quiet around the house.
We celebrated Kurt's 33rd birthday on the 12th, no pictures once again, and I think he had a good time. We went over to his parents' house, since his birthday fell on a Sunday and that is what we always do, and ate pizza and brownies. I think we might have even sang to him!
Once Kurt's birthday was over I could concentrate on Christmas shopping, which I waited to do until the last minute. Since we would be going to Colorado for Christmas, Kurt had the brilliant idea to have most of our gifts shipped to my sister's house. I had so much fun shopping for the girls on Amazon. It was nice that I didn't have to spend much time in the stores this year except for a few things.
We left for Colorado on Tuesday the 21st, stayed the night in Rock Springs, WY, and spent the rest of the day Wednesday traveling to my parent's house in Rye. The girls did pretty good for the most part, and we were able to stop at Shauna and Chauncy's house for a much needed break about half way through our trip.
On Thursday, the 23rd, we were able to go to the Ealey family Christmas party. I haven't been able to go to this for years and I was so excited to be there this year. My Dad (our whole family) was in charge of putting the party together this year. We decided to go with a John Holcomb theme and keeps things simple. We ate yummy food, my Dad told they story of how John Holcomb came to be, played some fun minute-to-win it games, had a visit from the famous Ealey twin grandmas for our ornament exchange, and had a fun time visiting with everyone. I think there were right around 80 family members there, and that was not even all of us! Although we had a great time planning and putting everything together, I think we are all glad that we don't have to worry about that for another few years! Hailey was not feeling real great that day and we had to make a quick trip into Pueblo to an urgent care, just for the doctor to tell me that she had a virus and there was nothing he could do for it! I hate it when that happens!
On Christmas Eve we were able to go up to Greeley to Melanie and Ryan's house. Shauna, Chauncy, and the girls came over and brought sugar cookies for the kids to decorate to leave out for Santa. Amy had so much fun eating and decorating her cookie. My Mom and Dad were also there, along with some of Melanie's neighbors. We all just hung out and had a good time eating and visiting with each other. We stayed at Melanie's house for the rest of our vacation, so that is where Santa had to find our girls. Before everyone went to bed though, we were able to open up our traditional Christmas pajama's. Amy got slippers with her jammies and even wore them to bed that night!
Christmas morning everyone was up bright and early, even though we were all up pretty late the night before. I was excited for the girls to see what Santa had brought for them, and also for them to open up the gifts that we had for them. Amy loved getting the doll house that she had asked Santa for and Hailey was happy to play with the wrapping paper and her toys. Kurt and I also opened a few gifts from each other. I was surprised with a bread maker and some new snow boots and socks and Kurt got some new clothes and a new wallet.
After we were done opening gifts, the girls played for awhile and then Hailey and I took a much needed nap. Amy was in heaven at Melanie's house. She was able to ride to Greeley from Rye with Melanie and Parker and loved it. Melanie also painted Amy's nails about a half dozen times, at Amy's request.
In the afternoon, Missy and her family, Shauna and her family, and my Mom and Dad all came over to Melanie's for Christmas dinner. The food was good and it was nice to spend time with everyone. The kids all played with their new toys and had fun running around. Then it was time to read the Christmas story out of the Bible and open more gifts. We were able to skype with Mandy, Anthony, and Mason in Utah so that they could open gifts with us at the same time. The rest of the day we spent sleeping, hanging out, and eating left overs. It was a great day and I am so thankful that I was able to spend it with family.
We traveled back to Utah on Monday and it was a very long drive back. The kids were done being in the car, and so were we! I was happy to be home but sad to leave my family. I am thankful for all of the new memories that we created and for the old ones that we were able to talk about. It was a good Christmas!
I really tried to get some good pictures of the girls in their Christmas dresses, but Amy was not happy at all!
No comments:
Post a Comment