He's here! Trey entered this world on November 12, 2011 at 1:46 am. This is one birth story I have to write down so that I won't forget how crazy everything was that night.
I had an appointment to be induced on November 16th because I didn't want to go passed my due date of the 17th. I never really thought that I would actually make it to my due date, but as time went on I began to wonder. On the 11th, 11/11/11, my mom called to see if I would be having a baby that day. I really didn't feel like anything was happening and assured her that it wouldn't be that day, although it would have been really cool to have him on 11/11/11!
That night I was laying in bed watching t.v. while Kurt was downstairs playing a video game. Around 11 or 11:30 I started to have painful contractions. I tried to time them, but they weren't consistent at all. Amy was sleeping next to me and woke up during the middle of a contraction. She was so cute and could see that I was in pain. She said to me, "It's alright mom. Sometimes I feel like that too."
It wasn't long before I decided that I should find Kurt and let him know that we needed to pack a bag and start getting ready to go. The contractions were becoming more and more intense and getting closer together.
Around 12:30 Kurt called his parents to come over and stay with the girls. While we waited for them to get to the house we started throwing stuff into the hospital bag. Kurt did most of the packing while I moved very little because of all the pain. Amy would rub my back during a contraction and help get things for my bag. It was so sweet to see her be so concerned and excited all at the same time.
Kurt's parents arrived at the house around 1:00 am and by that time both girls were awake. As soon as they got there we headed to the car. When I went into labor with my girls, I waited at home for 4 or 5 hours before we went into the hospital. My number one fear is getting to the hospital and being sent home, so I waited until things were getting unbearable with the girls. With this one though, the contractions were pretty intense right from the start and all I wanted was some relief from the pain so I wanted to go to the hospital right away.
When we got into the car all I could do was lay the seat back and put my feet up on the dash. I was so hot and made Kurt turn the air conditioner on full blast even though it was freezing cold outside. We had to go clear downtown, a 30 minute drive at the least, to LDS Hospital. I was in so much pain while we were driving and poor Kurt had to hear me scream and yell at the top of my lungs almost the whole way there. I kept on yelling, "I'm gonna die", along with some curse words every now and then!
About half way there I felt a big nasty gush and I knew my water had broke. As soon as that happened I felt the baby drop and all I could do was push! Kurt kept on telling me to breath and not to push, but I couldn't stop. At one point I yelled that I didn't think I was going to make it, and I think Kurt started to get really worried.
After a few stressful wrong turns to the hospital, (we should have been able to drive right to it since both our girls were born there), we pulled up to the ER and Kurt jumped out and opened the door for me. I just looked at him and told him I couldn't get out and needed him to go get someone. He ran inside, grabbed a wheel chair and yelled, "My wife is having a baby in the car!", and ran back outside to get me. A nurse followed him out and helped get me in the chair. He pushed me inside and they stopped me at the registration desk to get my information. As they were asking me questions I yelled, "I have to push!", and the next thing I knew the nurse was racing me through the hospital up to labor and delivery.
We got to the room and they stopped me by the bed and I just remember telling them that I had to push. One of the nurses told me I needed to take my pants off and get on the bed, and I just looked at Kurt and said, "Help!", as I tried to kick my shoes off. Some how they figured out that I wasn't kidding about things and they helped me get onto the bed. A nurse started tugging at my pants and as soon as they were off another nurse said that I was ready to deliver. I remember yelling, "Why can't I have an epidural?", and the nurse said, "Because your baby is here!" Then I told them I had to push and they told me to go ahead. I wanted the baby out so badly and yelled for the doctor to get him out. The next thing I knew, Trey was here! Born at 1:46 am, only a couple of hours after my contractions started and with no drugs!
Trey was 6 pounds, 14 ounces and 19.5 inches long. I was in shock at what had just happened, and so was Kurt. I didn't even know the doctor's name until I asked him while he stitched me up. I had really wanted the same doctor that delivered both my girls to deliver Trey, but given how fast things went they couldn't even call her. When they tried to do a blood draw on me nothing would come out and my throat hurt from yelling and screaming so much.
Even though it was the middle of the night I called my mom and sent text messages to all of my sisters, telling them that Trey was here. I was exhausted but so happy to finally hold my baby boy, and so relieved that the pain was gone.
That afternoon, Lonnie and Linda brought the girls up to the hospital to meet their baby brother. They were in love with him right away, and it helped that baby brother gave them each a gift when they got there. It was so fun to see them in their big sister shirts.
The recovery went well and we were able to go home Sunday afternoon. Even though the whole process went by so fast, I would much rather have an epidural then go through all that pain again! At least I can say that I know what it's like to go natural!
5 comments:
Oh. My. Gosh.!!!! That is so scary! That has got to be some record time! I'm glad you at least made it to the hospital! He's adorable!! Congrats!
OH MY GOSH! I had no idea it was like that! That is INSANE, dude! You are a rock star! I seriously can't believe how awesome you are.
When I went into labor with Noah it was very similar--I was supposed to be induced the next day so I wasn't prepared, so I was throwing stuff into a bag and Isaac was saying "Mommy owie?" and I would have to sit down during contractions. Mad 100-mph dash to LDS Hospital even, although it was from Draper so it felt SO FAR. But luckily I had a good 2 hours at the hospital before he came, unlike your 2 minutes. I just can't get over how crazy that must have been! I wasn't prepared for a natural birth and man, it HURTS. I feel you there.
Finally, I love the picture after his bath all wrapped up with the spiky hair. He is so perfect!! Congratulations!
WOW!!! Amazing birth story! I cannot imagine you screaming. That's kind of funny( except for the extreme pain part) haha transition is THE WORST with no epidural. He's so cute!!!!! Congratulations :)
OMIGOSH. That is one heck of a birth story! He's a cutie - congratulations. And I agree with Emily -- you are a ROCK STAR.
I have a friend with a similar story -- we were all SHOCKED when we heard she had her 2nd baby on the gurney in the hallway. Less than 2 years later, when she had her 3rd baby, we all asked her husband, "So, did she make it past the gurney this time?"
He smiled and shook his head, "Nope. She had the baby in the car." She was in the hospital parking lot, but she couldn't even get out of the car.
Man, so scary. So crazy. You must've thought they were all insane when they stopped you at the registration desk. Geesh!
Congratulations again! Great post!
Stacy, I've been MIA on the blog scene lately so I'm way behind. It's so much fun to see all of your pictures I haven't seen yet.
Post a Comment