People may or may not have known that I have been working from home for Utah Central Credit Union ever since Amy was born, about 4 1/2 years ago. It is a blessing for our family that I am able to work and be a stay-at-home mom at the same time.
Last year the company announced that we would be partnering with another, larger, credit union back East. They assured us that things would not change all that much as far as our jobs went and a first that was true. Everything was "business as usual" and work went on for me. Then, at the end of July 2011, I was called into the CEO's office for a meeting. I knew that things were changing, but I wasn't prepared for what I would be told. So at 6 1/2 months pregnant with Trey, I headed downtown to find out my fate.
At this point most of the upper management, including my boss, had moved on to bigger and better things outside of the company and I was pretty much on my own. As I sat down in front of the CEO, I had a bad feeling come over me. He explained to me that my job position was going to be eliminated and that I could go in to one of the branch locations for an office job, but I would no longer be able to work from home. I was devastated to say the least and balled my eyes out right in front of the CEO. He told me that I had 30 days left to work from home.
So this might not seem like a big deal to some, but to me it meant having to put Amy and Hailey in a daycare and also having to put a new baby in daycare a few months down the road. There was no way at that point that I could quit my job. Kurt doesn't have health insurance at his job and we would not be able to afford our newly bought home on one income. While researching day cares, I found out that it would cost me more money than I made to have someone else watch my kids. Things were not looking good. After a few trying weeks, one of my co-workers put his two week notice in. This was an answer to my prayers! I could stay at home with my kids, and get full-time hours back.
Fast forward to March 2012. Things were getting difficult at work again. I was once again told that I had 30 days to work from home and then would have to go into the office to work. Kurt and I went over, what seemed like, a hundred different scenarios as to what we could do. I was looking for other employment that I would be able to do from home, and having no luck. Kurt thought about starting a side business from home, but with no guarantee of income it was scary to think about.
So far the Credit Union hasn't gotten their act together for people to take over my job responsibilities yet, which has given me more time at home. Although I am still working from home, I know that it is not going to last and that changes are coming whether we are ready or not.
Which brings us to the present. My sister and her family were planning on visiting us for a few days over the 4th of July Holiday. A couple of weeks before they were going to leave I called to find out what their plans were exactly. Sadly she informed me that they might not get to come out because someone at her husband Ryan's work had put in a two week notice and Ryan might have to cover for the guy. I mentioned this to Kurt to let him know that our plans might be changing. The next day Kurt sent me a text message asking how I would feel about him flying to Colorado for a job interview! I was shocked to say the least, but excited about the possibilities it could mean.
Long story short, Kurt has been offered the office manager position at Total Welding, in Colorado, and has decided to take the job. The kicker is that he has to be there in less than a week. That means we are moving and have less than a week to put the house up on the market, he has to quit his current job at Perma Graphics, and the kids and I will have to stay behind to get the house ready to sell and for me to finish out my job. Kurt will be staying with my sister and her family while we get things sorted out.
This has to be an answer to our many prayers. It has all happened so fast and things are all falling into place. Kurt will have health insurance with the new job and he will be able to grow with the company. I will be able to stay at home with the kids, and I will get to be closer to my side of the family. I am nervous, excited, sad, and overwhelmed all at the same time. I will miss all of the family and friends we have here in Utah more than they know. I am sad to leave the house we bought just over a year ago, and also sad about Amy having to leave her friend Berlynn and the kids having to leave our babysitter, Lori. I know this is a great opportunity for our family. I will be sad to have Kurt so far away. We don't know how long it will take to sell the house and it won't be easy for Kurt to travel back and forth very often.
So, here we go on a big adventure, that we had no idea was even coming our way! Wish us luck!
| I snuck this picture into Kurt's car the day he left for Colorado so that he would be able to see us often! |
1 comment:
Job changes can be soo scary and so stressful. I'm sorry you had to endure that! Have you been able to sell your house? I hope things are GREAT in Colorado!
Post a Comment