11/16/2012

September 2012- Super long post!

For the first two weeks in September, the kids and I were homeless.  We left Utah on the last day of August and came to Colorado so that we could make it to Chloe and Olivia's baptisms.  The only problem is that we couldn't close on our house until September 7th, and we couldn't get in until the 11th.  So, for two weeks we roamed Colorado, visiting my sisters' and their families, and also my parent's.  It was nice to spend time with everyone, but hard to live out of the car and suitcases.

First up was my parent's in Rye.  After the long road trip from Utah we needed a break from the car so  we spent a few days in Rye just hanging out.  Mandy and Mason flew out from Utah to go to the baptisms so they were in Rye the same time we were.  Monday was Labor Day and my parent's both had the day off, so we decided to head to the Colorado State Fair.  It has been years since I've been and I was excited to go back and see if anything had changed.  Of course nothing had really changed though, but it was fun to take the kids and look around at everything.  The rides were so expensive and Amy really wanted to ride something so we decided to head over to City Park and do the cheaper, less scary rides. 

When we got to the park there was only a half hour left until everything closed.  There weren't many people at the park so the kids were able to ride most everything at least once.  I was surprised that Hailey wasn't scared and rode on everything that Amy did.  While we were in Rye I was able to take my kids to the Rye Park.  It was fun to be back to a place that I have been so many times and show my kids where I used to play.  I have so many memories of family picnics with my cousins, birthday parties, recreation trips, graduation parties, night time drives, playing in the creek, and sledding in the park.  It will be fun to make new memories there with my family!

After haircuts and taking advantage of my parents' washer and dryer, we headed North to Ft. Collins to visit with Shauna and her family.  The girls had fun playing with their cousins and Trey had fun crawling after Finn to attack him!  I have no idea why he wants to get Finn so much!  Trey also learned how to go up the stairs while we were there.  We had fun going to eat out at Cafe Rio, going to soccer practice, playing at the park, and just hanging out. 

On Friday morning the kids and I loaded up and headed back South to the Denver/Castle Rock area.  I dropped the kids off at Melanie's and went to pick Kurt up from work so that we could sign papers on the house.  The area that Kurt found for us to live is in Littleton, a place called Roxborough.  The video on the site is about where we live, but it's not about where we live, if you get what I mean!  We do not live on the golf course or near any of those big, beautiful homes, but I do love the area. 

Our house is about half the size of what we lived in in Utah, but it is almost the same layout which has been nice.  The previous owners kept it in good shape and pretty clean, so there isn't a whole lot of work for us to do.  There are a ton of trails around us and the schools are close-by as well.  We are pretty far out of the way though and you have to drive at least fifteen to twenty minutes to find what you need.  There is a shopping center here with an expensive grocery store and a few other shops, so we aren't completely cut off from things.  I didn't expect to live so close to nature, but we have already had a bear in our garbage and Maggie and CJ have already killed two snakes in our backyard!

After getting the paperwork taken care of we still had a few days before we could get into the house so we stayed with Missy for almost a week.  Once we could get in, I was able to go and get everything cleaned before the moving trucks arrived.  I wasn't happy to see mice in the freshly cleaned kitchen, which totally made unpacking a nightmare!  Lonnie and Linda brought out a bunch of our stuff in back of their truck and also Maggie and CJ.  It was fun to have them see our new home and be with us for a few days. 

The new ward is about fifteen minutes away and starts at nine in the morning.  It is hard to get everyone up and going that early and still be on time!  So far everyone has been real friendly and helpful.  We had a few people come over and help me clean and unpack and also had help with unloading the moving trucks.  I haven't seen him yet, but Jimmer Fredette moved into the ward almost the same time that we did.  I'm sure he is busy playing basketball! 

Our first Sunday at church I was able to meet a couple of moms that were starting a coop preschool.  I was excited to get Amy into it because it has helped her so much so far.  She is comfortable going to primary now because she goes to school with some of the same kids that are in her class.  I will take a turn to teach one week and I'm excited to be able to help out with it.

We have been busy getting the house back together and trying to learn where things are and how to adjust to everything.  The kids have all been doing real well with the move, but have been asking about family and friends back in Utah.  It has been fun to be closer to my sisters and parents and to be able to do things with them again.  I hope to be able to make some good friends here and also for my kids to do the same.  Kurt loves his drive to work and is even able to come home for lunch sometimes.  He works longer hours than he was in Utah, but so far it has been a good move for our family. 




   


    













       
Amy going to Preschool
Everyone is tired after a long month!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Your kids are so cute, I just love Trey's little face, he's so adorable. I'm still sad that you don't live here anymore.

Boquinha said...

Wow! You guys have been soooo busy! I love the picture at the bottom of the post -- so sweet. I know moves are a lot, especially on little ones. It sounds like it's been a great thing for you guys - that's great! Your in-laws are amazing to me. That is so great that they drove down for you like that. Wow. I am in awe.