1/21/2009

Help!!

I need some suggestions on what to feed Amy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In the last few days she has started to grab the spoon out of my hands and try to feed herself. I am excited that she wants to use the spoon, but not so excited that everything I have to feed her falls right off when she takes the spoon from me. She doesn't quite get how the spoon works, and usually ends up dumping everything before it gets to her mouth. I tried to be patient with her using the spoon, but after cleaning up every spoonful I kind of got frustrated. I have been doing toast, graham crackers, cheerios, things from my plate, and some other snacks that she can use her hands to eat with, but I don't feel like she is getting enough to eat. I tired bananas, which she loved in the baby food jars, but she wasn't really interested in the real deal. I know that I need to keep trying with the bananas and that she will probably end up loving them, but I'm just not sure what else to give her. She has two top teeth and two bottom teeth and two more that are coming in on the top, so I haven't really wanted to try things that she can't gum to death. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

5 comments:

Christy said...

My kids loved yogurt! Amy's almost one, right? So she should be old enough to enjoy it! For lunch you could try mac & cheese but mash it up with the back side of a fork to make it smaller and easier to eat. For dinner I used to have a baby food masher and I'd mash up whatever we were eating so that they could feed it to themselves. The being messy part is just part of the experience! Take lots of pictures, believe it or not, this too shall pass!

emily said...

i don't have any patience for the pureed baby foods (too messy and bland and half the jar always gets wasted), so Mary Tessa's been table fooding it for a while (she's a bit younger than Amy, almost 10 months) and just has two teeth. Here are some things she really gets with:

chunks of cheese, grapes (cut in 4), NOODLES!, yogurt, peas, tangerines (she adores these! i just cut off the tips and then cut a slice in 2-3 pieces), lasagna (messy, but a good intro to tomato sauce and cottage cheese), pizza, cheerios, rice, grilled cheese sandwich, quesadillas, toast, hot dogs (diced about the size of your pinky nail), cooked carrots, tomato, green beans.

soon you can try scrambled or hardboiled eggs.

it's awesome seeing her feed herself and pick what she wants--and it frees me up to eat at the same time.

my older two were never much for bananas either . . . but there are tons of other foods out there.

this is also a good time to introduce a few baby signs, like; more, drink, eat, please.

sorry for all the advice, but i love feeding kids!

Jillo said...

You can try giving her a spoon opf her own while you feed her with a different one. That kinda worked with my kids, but was still messy.
Amy is at the best age for food.
She can eat anything you guys eat except raw honey, peanut butter, and egg whites.
Other than that, just break everything into little bit sized pieces and let her go to town. It will be really messy, but that is where Maggie and CJ come in handy. =)
One great idea is toast with pureed veggies mixed with cream cheese spread on top. I cut the toast into strips, Lucy loves it. I throw all kids of things on bread, it disguises things very nicely.
You can also buy a can of veggies and divide them up in little bags for individual servings. THis is WAY cheaper than babyfood. I just look for the non salted and organic as possible cans. There are carrots, beans, peas, peaches, pears, apples, ect... Plus she can kinda feed herself with these.
Yougart and string cheese are also a good, and cereal bars. You can cut noodles up really small and mix in a ton of stuff with them too!
Good luck!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Have you seen those little spoons that aren't spoons at all. Ugh. How do I describe them. It's almost like a flat thing with slats. It would be perfect for Amy. I'll try to find a link to one.

Charitons said...

Brenna LOVES avacado pieces and they are easy for her to chew too. She much prefers them to bananas. And have you tried appleasauce? Another breakfast thing that is good is organic fruit leather that you can tear into tiny swallowable pieces.